BioStar 2's database has gone through a few changes since it's release.
The AC database started out with the SQLite Database and in version 2.2.1, the MariaDB T&A database was released.
Starting version 2.3, both databases became Maria DB. Hence the backup method has changed as well.
Refer to the image below to see the changes in the Database in BioStar 2 versions.
2.0 ~ 2.2.2 Database Backup and Restore
Please refer to the PDF TS0149 attached to back up your BioStar 2.0~2.2.2 database.
Note that the AC database can be backed up easily with a copy and paste after stopping BioStar 2 services because it is a SQLite DB.
However you will have to run a few queries on the database to back up the T&A database.
2.3~ Database Backup and Restore
You will have to install MySQL Workbench to back up and restore the database.
If you are making a clean uninstall and reinstalling BioStar 2.3 in the server PC or if you are installing and restoring BioStar 2.3 in another PC, you will have to back up the security folder in the path below:
C:\Program Files\BioStar 2(x64)\ta\security
Copy the files in the folder and paste it the same path of your new BioStar 2.3 when restoring your T&A.
This only applies to version 2.3 T&A and this process is not required for version 2.4
2. Access the following link
3. Click Download Now to download MySQL Workbench.
4. Click Download to download the MSI Installer.
5. Click No thanks, just start my download.
6. Run the downloaded file.
7. It will ask you to install the prerequisites. Click Download Prerequisites.
8. The link will guide you to download the files below. Install if you don’t already have them:
9. After installing all the prerequisites, run the MySQL Workbench installer again.
10. Launch MySQL Workbench.
11. Click the + sign.
12. Set a name for Connection Name.
13. Set the Port to 3312.
14. Enter your database administrator id in Username.
The account you configured in the BioStar 2 express installation is root.
15. Click Store in Vault … and enter password.
18. Click Ok to connect to the database.
19. Select Data Export on the Navigator.
20. On Object Selection – Schema, select the database you want to back up.
biostar2_ac is the AC database and biostar_tna is the T&A database.
21. On the right column Schema Objects, check that all tables are checked.
22. On Objects to Export check all three items.
23. For Export Options select Export to Self-Contained File.
24. Check Include Create Schema.
25. Click Start Export.
The process will take several minutes and longer based on the size of your database.
2.3~ Database Restore
When you restore the T&A database, you have to stop and start all BioStar 2 services again with BioStar Setting.