This document will guide you through the process of how to use the DB migration tool. This DB migration Tool will be helpful to convert user information of BioStar 1.x to user information of Biostar 2.x. Please read the manual carefully and follow the instructions.
This migration tool will overwrite any user information currently stored in the BioStar 2 database. We highly recommend you to make backup DB if you already have users stored in the BioStar 2.
This migration tool currently does not support Oracle DB.
Department information will not be converted to BioStar2 database.
User ID 1 will be not converted (BioStar2 creates a default administrator ID with User ID 1).
User access level will be changed as a normal user because of the difference in concept between BioStar1.x and BioStar2.x.
For the card information, only Mifare CSN(7byte) will be converted.
Windows Authentication is not supported. The authentication for SQL Server must be done as SQL Server Authentication.
If you need to set SQL server authentication, please refer the following link;
How to create a SQL server authentication login ID
1. Run the SQL Server Configuration Manager. On the left pane, click SQL Server Services and check the status of the SQL Server Browser. Set it to Running if it is set to Stopped.
2. On the left pane, click SQL Server Network Configuration. There will be protocols for SQLExpress and Protocols for BSSERVER as follows. Then, click the Protocols for SQLEXPRESS and check if the TCP/IP is Enabled.
The name of protocols depends on your system configuration.
3. If you have changed any of the settings above you will have to restart the SQL Server. Click SQL Server Services from the left pane, right click SQL SERVER and click Restart.
1. Run Services from your Windows control panel (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services)
2. Search for BioStar 2 Launcher Service.
3. Right click BioStar2 Launcher Service and click Stop.
The status would appear as blank.
4. Fill out the DB information in the migration tool configuration file. (B2DM\config\userConfig).
For MSSQL, please copy userConfig.mssql file to [userConfig] file.
For MYSQL, please copy userConfig.mysql file to [userConfig] file.
5. Edit the user, password, server, port, database name.
6. In case you don’t know the information, you may find relevant information if you open Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express.
7. Press and hold the Shift key and right click on the folder that migration has been extracted, click on Open command window here to open a new command window with this specific directory.
8.To start the migration, type run_user.bat and press Enter.
9. Copy biostar2.db from B2DM\db folder and paste it to C:\Program Files (x86)\BioStar 2\db folder.
10. Start the BioStar 2 Launcher Service from Services.
11. Run BioStar2 and check the user list.