This article shows the steps you should take to migrate a BioStar 1 server and/or to upgrade BioStar 1.
1) Backup the BioStar database using SQL Server Management Studio
- Open [SQL Server Management Studio], right click and [run as administrator]
- If you do not have SQL Server Management Studio, you must download and install it from Microsoft’s Website
Note: You may encounter SQL compatibility issues with certain versions of Windows. Please be aware of the following compatibility requirements:
- SQL Server is forward compatible but is not backward compatible (e.g. you can migrate a SQL 2005 database to 2008 but not vice versa)
- SQL Server 2005 (and any previous version) is not supported on Windows 8 or higher
- SQL Server 2008 is supported on Windows 8/Windows Server 2012 but requires a minimum of SP3
- SQL Server 2008 R2 is supported on Windows 8/Windows Server 2012 but requires a minimum of SP2
- SQL Server 2012 RTM is supported on Windows 8/Windows 2012
- We recommend using SQL Server 2012 and have provided a link below:
- Open [SQL Management Studio] and connect to the SQL instance that is installed on your machine
- Expand [Databases] > right click [BioStar] > select [Tasks] > [Back Up]
- Open the file path that you will see under Destination
In this example, it is c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\Backup
- If a file already exists in this location, you can delete it, or change the name of your new backup
- Click [OK] to create and Save the Backup
If you are using a software license (not a dongle) for BioStar Standard version, back up the BioStar.lic file in C:\Program Files (x86)\BioStar\server and paste it to the same location in your upgraded server.
Caution: If you're upgrading to the latest version of BioStar 1 to use 2nd generation devices, read the following article before proceeding - Limitations with 2nd Generation Devices in BioStar 1.93
Deleting BioStar will not delete your database but please back up your database so that you may revert your database if the database upgrade fails.
2) Uninstall current version of BioStar 1.x
- Open [Control Panel] > Select [Uninstall a program] > Right Click [BioStar 1.x] > Select [Uninstall]
- Locate the destination in which your original BioStar folder was located
*In this example it is This PC > Local Disk (C:) > Program Files (x86)
- You can choose to delete or rename the existing BioStar folder.
3) Restore the SQL database (***NOTE: this ONLY applies when you are moving the software to a new server***)
- If you are moving the Server to a new machine, copy the BioStar backup file to the same location on the new machine that is stored on your current machine.
- Open [SQL Server Management Studio], right click [run as administrator]
- Expand [Databases] > Right click [Restore Database]
- Select [Device] > […] > [Add]
- Choose the BioStar backup file [BioStar .bak] and click [OK]
4) Download and Install new BioStar 1.x software Download Link
Note :If you are only using 1.x devices we recommend that you install BioStar 1.9
- Right click on the new version of BioStar 1.x you are installing and click [run as administrator]
NOTE: Certain versions of Biostar 1.x will ask if you want to install Microsoft SQL Server Express:
- If you choose [Yes], BioStar will install SQL Server Express 2005 by default.Choose [No] if you would like to use a different version of SQL. (When you choose no, a manual database configuration tab will come up where you can create the BioStar database in the SQL instance of your choice)
Please be aware of the SQL compatibility requirements noted above.
5) Run BioStar 1.x
- Right click on the [BioStar Server Config] and select [Run as Administrator]
- Click [OK] when you receive the error below
- Check to make sure the BioStar Server Config settings are correct and click [Apply]
- You can confirm the Database Server name by opening SQL and locating your BioStar database as shown below
- You can now choose [Start] on Biostar Server Config
- If you are using an existing SQL setup you will need to link the existing SQL instance to the new Biostar 1.x database by running a DB Patch
A) Open the Biostar 1.x server folder at C:\Program Files(x86)\BioStar\server
B) Run DBSetup.exe by right-clicking the [DBsetup.exe] file and selecting [Run as administrator]