How to Issue and Use Mobile Smart Cards
Starting BioStar 2.4.1, you can use your mobile phone as a smart card with 2nd generation devices and Xpass S2.
Android phones can work with the 2nd generation device’s NFC features, but iOS phones do not have the NFC feature so it currently can only work with devices which have the Bluetooth feature.
Mobile Smart Card is supported with the versions below:
Host card emulation (HCE) was used to implement the mobile smart card feature.
Most of the latest Android devices use HCE but some devices may not support it.
Check with your phone manufacturer or the phone specification to see if your phone supports HCE.
Note that NFC and BLE communication specification may vary by manufacturers and models and there could be difference in performance.
Below is a chart showing the result of tests we have done internally:
NFC & BLE (updated 17 Dec 2018)
Galaxy Note 9
Galaxy Note 8
Galaxy S8 Plus
Galaxy S7 Edge
Galaxy Note 7
Galaxy S6 Edge Plus
Galaxy S6 Edge
Galaxy Note 5
Galaxy S4 Active
Galaxy Note 3
LG G3 Cat 6
Only BLE (updated 17 Dec 2018)
Galaxy S5 LTE-A
LG Wine Smart Jazz
Google Nexus 5
Google Nexus 5x
HTC One M8
Huawei P20 Pro
HUAWEI P10 Plus
HUAWEI Honor 6X
ZTE BLADE V8
Xiaomi Mi A1
Hongmi Note3 Pro
Xperia XZ Premium
iPhone 8 Plus
iPhone 7 Plus
iPhone 6s Plus
Support for NFC may differ based on the manufacturing date even if it is the same model of device.
1. Log in to BioStar 2.
2. Configure a Smart Card format for your mobile smart card.
3. Go to Setting > SERVER.
4. Switch Mobile Card Enrollment on.
5. A warning popup will appear showing the requirements.
6. Click Ok.
7. Go to the DEVICE menu.
8. Select your device.
9. On the Authentication tab Smart Card Layout select your Smart card Layout you configured.
10. Click Apply.
Issuing the Mobile Smart Card
1. Go to the USER menu.
2. Click ADD USER.
3. Enter user information such as Name, ID, Group etc.
4. Select an Operator Level. You can use the default User level for basic users. \
5. Enter a Login ID and Password to use when you log in to the mobile app.
6. Enroll a fingerprint for the user in the + Fingerprint menu.
7. Click on +Card.
8. Select Smart Card on Card Type.
9. Select your Device.
10. Select your Smart Card Type.
11. Choose your fingerprint.
12. Click Issue Mobile Card.
13. Click Apply.
If you're using BioStar 2.6, you can configure private authentication mode for a smart card, including the mobile card.
Configuring the Mobile Phone
1. Turn on NFC card mode on your phone. (With iOS phones, turn on your Bluetooth)
2. Go to the Google Play Store. (for iOS, App Store)
3. Download and install BioStar 2 Mobile App.
4. Enter your subdomain and credentials.
5. Log in.
6. Click on MOBILE SMART CARD.
7. Tap on your card to register it.
8. Go to you suprema device and scan the phone on the device while the mobile app is open.
9. Enter your fingerprint to finish the authentication.
1. Turn on the bluetooth feature on your smart phone.
2. Log in to BioStar 2 mobile app.
3. Click on the gear icon on the right top corner to go into settings.
4. Turn BLE on.
5. Change the meter of the BLE if you want to change the distance in which the phone is read.
- You cannot use the NFC and Bluetooth feature at the same time with a smart phone.