If you are unable to communicate with a device over a network there are a couple of different things that you can try:
1. Start by running an arp table search
- Type "cmd" into a windows search bar to open up a command prompt window
- Type "arp -a" and press enter- this will show you all of the IP based products reachable by the server computer
- All Suprema products have a physical or MAC Address beginning with 00-17-FC
- If you can see something with a physical address of 00-17-FC make note of what the corresponding IP address of this device is
- If you do not see anything with a physical address of 00-17-FC you can also add the device by directly connecting it into a laptop with the software installed on it see FAQ: (Directly connecting with a laptop)
2. Try pinging the device
- Try pinging this device to see if you can communicate it over the network
- You can do this by typing ping and then the corresponding IP address of the product which has the physical address of 00-17-FC
- For example type: "ping 192.168.0.1"
- If you are getting a steady reply Ex. 128 TTL or 64 TTL with the bytes holding steady this is a good sign
- You can also do a timeless ping by typing: "ping 192.168.0.1 -t"
- If you are getting a reply back on the timeless ping and you want to ensure you are pinging the correct device you disconnect the device from the switch momentarily and see if it affects the timeless ping by becoming disconnected then reconnected when you plug the device back in
What if I can ping the device but I cannot add the device?
1. Ensure that there is no antivirus software that might be blocking communication with the device.
Symantec, McAffee, AVG Antivirus, Windows Defender, Kaspersky, etc. can block communication. If any third party antivirus is running in the background it can likely be disabled from the task bar as shown below:
(Note: Always confirm these changes with the customer, their IT staff or network administrator)
2. Ensure that a port exception has been made for the required device/server ports.
1470, 1471 (device ports)
1480 (server port)
51211 (device port)
51212 (server port)
3. Once you have made these changes try adding the device again: