SQL Server 2005
Download Newer Version
Windows 8 users may experience issues downloading SQL Server 2005 on their machine. If this is the case, you should visit Microsoft’s website and download a newer version such as Windows 2008 R2. A simple Google search will display the most relevant search.
Download the correct version based on your operating system (32 bit vs. 64 bit). It is recommended to download the package with the express tools in order to get Management Studio.
Run the Server Installation as Normal
Once the download is complete, you can run the Server installation as normal except for the following change:
- When you are prompted to download SQL server select “No”.
- After selecting “No”, you will be asked to input the connecting string of your newer version of SQL Server. Make sure the connecting string is what you see on your SQL database. You will need SQL Management Studio Express to manage this.
SQL 2012 Issues
SQL Server 2012 installations will occasionally attach the incorrect rights to access the BioStar databases causing an issue starting the BioStar services required to run the software.
- Login to SQL Management Studio Express and expand security>then logins and locate NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM.
- Right click on NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM and select the properties option.
Once the Login Properties dialogue box is open select the default BioStar database to map.
- When the BioStar database is highlighted the Database Role Membership for BioStar will show the server roles being used.
- Ensure that db_owner is selected as a role, and hit OK.
NOTE: Once db owner rights are granted the BioStar Server and database should start operating properly.