Adding Readers Dynamically
- All our readers out of the Box are on DHCP mode i.e. all we need to do is to connect it in the network via DHCP enabled switch/Router and it should get an IP address.
- Add the reader via UDP search from the client Software
Adding Readers Statically
- If Dynamic IP is not an option the reader can be defaulted and the IP can be assigned Statically
- For all readers with an Keypad e.g.: Biolite Net, Biostation, X-station etc. this can be done in TCP/IP field under Admin menu
- BioEntry Plus: move the Dip switch #2 at ON position (bottom switch to the right side) > power cycle the reader > move Dip switch to OFF (move back to the left).
- Bio Entry W & X-Pass: hold power button for 3-5 sec’s, power cycle the reader.
- The Reader will be Defaulted to : 192.168.0.1
- From here we can connect the reader Directly to a Standalone Laptop/workstation using Ethernet cable (Crossover/Straight through)
Assigning IP to Computer
- In order to communicate with the reader after initialization you will need to configure Laptop/computer in the same IP range. Since the device is on 192.168.0.1 , Your computer will need to be at 192.168.0.x
- Change the settings by going to Control Panel > Network and Sharing centre > Change adapter settings > Right Click on LAN Adapter > Highlight Internet Protocol version 4 > click properties.
- For example we are just using 192.168.0.10 as the IP of laptop and 192.168.0.1 being the gateway.
Setting IP to BioStar
After assigning the IP to reader we can add reader in the software. Refresh The Biostar Server Config so that it can read the same IP as of Laptop i.e. 192.168. 0.10
Server Settings for Client
Before Log in to Client we can check if it is connected to the server. Click on Server settings and configure it with either 192.168.0.10 or 127.0.0.1(multicast), Port 1480.
To verify if we can communicate with the reader, Ping the Reader IP “Ping 192.168.0.1” in Command Prompt. We can also verify by using “Arp –a” command to see if the result shows IP 192.168.0.1 with a Physical address 00-17-fc….
Adding Reader in BioStar
From here we can add the reader via UDP or TCP Search for the exact IP with port number 1470 or 1471 (depending on reader type).
- Once the reader is located add it in BioStar and make changes in Network Tab under.
- Note: It is advisable to configure the new settings in 1 shot as the reader will be offline after making any changes.
- Now we can connect the reader back in the Production Network. In above example, the production server is running on 10.0.12.39 and the reader is at 10.0.0.240
- Refresh the BioStar client and the reader should pop up in the device tree, this is because Server mode is in use which exactly means “the reader will always talk to the server in the background”.
- If for some reasons reader cannot be discovered, try Ping test again, and check if ports 1471,1470,1480 are getting blocked
- Disable the Firewall or any 3rd party antivirus software which might be blocking the Ports.
- If server IP was not configured then try UDP/TCP search for 10.0.0.240 address.