This is a Generic Upgrade Path for the 4.x version of the BioConnect Software. Be aware that some integrations will require some components that are unique (OEM SDK, DataCounduit, Client Logins and Peripheral Licenses) that need to be known to complete the installation.
Please note if you are on version 4.0.x you must call into the Technical Support for assistance. This guide applies to any build after 4.1.x and above.
Ensure that you have RabbitMQ 3.6.10 before proceeding. This can be confirmed via control panel under programs and features.
*If you have an older version of RabbitMQ, please call our technical support for remote assistance.
Please confirm the following prior to upgrades:
- SQL Server Rights to the BioConnect database
- Administrative privileges to the server
- Confirm you have access to the windows service account running the BioConnect Services
- Confirm you have access and information for ACM Database(s) or SDK connections.
- If you have any "Custom" Software versions please contact support with the version # and customization.
- Backup your BioConnect Database.
- Backup your BioConnect configuration file (More Information below)
Additionally, you will need to run through the setup assistant again. It is highly recommended that you read through the full install as well (view here) and have everything you will need for your specific ACM to ensure that you have all the login information.
Part 1: Pre-requisites for 4.2 Upgrade
Step 1: Backup your Database
- Open SQL Server Management Studio, right click and run as administrator
- If you do not have SQL Server Management Studio, you must download and install it from Microsoft’s Website.
- Minimum Requirement is 2008 R2 or above
- Open [SQL Management Studio] and connect to the SQL instance installed on your machine that contains the BioConnect database
- Expand [Databases] > right click on [BioConnect] > [Tasks] > [Back Up]
Step 2: Backup your current Access Control Manager configuration settings
- On the Server navigate to the default file path (C:\Program Files (x86)\BioConnect\BioConnect Services\Acm)
- Locate “BioConnect.Services.Acm.Host.exe”
- Copy this config file to a new folder on your desktop
- It is a good idea to confirm that the configuration file information remains once this has been copied
Part 2: Installation
Step 1: Uninstall the Existing BioConnect Software
- Stop all BioConnect services
- This will need to be done manually for all services
2. Once completed you can proceed to the control panel
3. Select Programs and features
4. Select Uninstall BioConnect
1. Do not need to uninstall RabbitMQ or Erlang
5. After uninstallation is complete you can begin the installation process
1. It is recommended that the old version of the software is kept until the system has been fully validated by the customer
Step 2: Install the New Software Version
The full manual for the generic method to upgrade the software is located via the download link below.
Download Link BioConnect 4.2.18 Version with Expired User Issue
If requiring remote support, please ensure that this file is downloaded prior to scheduling a session.
1. Run the Install.exe that you’ve downloaded on the target server.
2. Accept terms of service, click install and select Server Install.
3. After the installation is complete, select Launch BioConnect.
4. This will bring you to the setup assistant configuration page. Select Next.
5. For upgrades the system should obtain the previous Licensing information. Choose the previous option that was used (Offline vs. Online) during the installation process.
6. Once your option has been selected and the licensing information has been pre-populated successfully (see above), you can proceed to the next step.
Step 4: SQL Connection – Select Custom Installation and select next.
Custom setup will always be used for upgrades as the BioConnect database has already been created and is populated with user information and templates. Note that Step 3 (Service Credentials) mentioned previously can have SQL Server dependencies in certain configurations.
Step 5: Integration Connections
- Once the database has completed you will need to fill out your specific ACM information
- Here is a link to the Full Installation guide again, should you need to review your specific integration connections.
- Once you have configured your connections to the ACM or cloud system, select next to proceed to the next step.
Step 6: Service Port Configuration
Confirm that the default ports do not conflict with anything on the server. This should typically not change when the software is upgraded from the previous configuration.
Step 7: Advanced Configuration
If you wish to enable client connections, please enter the IP address of your server (ie. 10.10.20.10)
Step 8: System Startup
Part 3: Validation Post Upgrade
This section is dedicated to confirming that the system is running after the upgrade. Note that in some cases there can be errors after an upgrade process that should be confirmed prior to completing the upgrade.
- Login to the BioConnect Software
- Note: The Default “root” level account for the client is case sensitive:
- Username: Entertech
- Password: Bobcat
2. Once Logged into the software, navigate to monitoring.
3. Once in monitoring, have users authenticate with the normal methods and confirm that the information coming into the system does not show “EXPIRED USER”
1. Below is an example of a system operating correctly
2. Typically you are going to get IDENTIFY_SUCESS OR VERIFY_SUCESS
4. Your Upgrade is now complete for your Server Application Server.
1. NOTE: Typically the client software is going to need to be upgraded as well.
2. Please refer to the full manual for this process.