This article shows how to connect a Secure IO 2 to a reader as well as add and configure it in BioStar 2.
Connecting a Secure IO 2 to a Reader
- You’ll first want to connect your Secure IO to your reader. To determine which wires from your reader to use, please refer to the reader’s installation guide. Installation guides can be found here.
- To connect the reader to your secure IO, we’ll use RS485 cables, whose names contain either 485 or TRX. Connect the corresponding cables from my reader to the D+, D-, and GND ports beside "RS485". *NOTE: TRXP = D+ (positive) and TRXN = D- (negative).
- To give your Secure IO power, be sure to use a 12 volt power source. Connect the red wire to + and the black wire to -.
- On the Secure IO, you should see PWR light up red. As well, you should see the RS485 lights light yellow. This means that the Secure IO is receiving from and transmitting to the reader.
Adding a Secure IO 2 in BioStar
- First click on the Device tab.
- Click on the device that your secure IO is connected to.
- Look under serial, and ensure that the mode is "Master".
- Click Apply to save this setting.
- Next, find your device in the left pane, right click on it, and Search Slave device.
- Select your device and click Add.
Configuring a Secure IO 2
- Click on the Doors tab.
- Click on the door that is using your device.
- Ensure that the door's entry device is the one that is connected to your secure IO.
- You now have two options for door relay: direct connection from the device as well as the relay on your secure IO.
- If you select the secure IO relay, you can select its inputs in the exit button and door sensor menus.
- If you select the secure IO's ports, ensure that the switch types are correctly configured for your exit button and door sensor.
- Also ensure that you have connected your mag lock or strike to the correct port; only either normally closed or normally open should be connected based on the type of lock or strike you have.
- Click Apply to save your settings.
- If this configuration is correct and you have a mag lock or door strike connected, you can view the status of the door from the Monitoring page.
- Click on the Door Status page and select your door.
- If your lock is normally open, when the door relay is on, the door will be locked. If it is normally closed and the door relay is on, it will be unlocked. When the relay is on, the relay light should light red on your secure IO.
- To unlock or lock your door, use the buttons at the top of the tab. When you unlock or lock your door, the status of the relay should change and you should hear a click from your Secure IO.
If Your Relays Aren't Working
If your relay light isn’t changing when you unlock or lock your door or you don’t hear a click, you’ll want to reset your Secure IO. To do this, hold down the reset button for three seconds
- If your relay light isn’t changing when you unlock or lock your door or you don’t hear a click, you’ll want to reset your Secure IO. To do this, hold down the reset button for three seconds.
- Then, hold down the initialize button for three seconds.
- Once you do this, your device will be in sync with your Secure IO. The unlocking and locking abilities should be restored.