In BioStar versions before BioStar 2.6, the card key value was entered as decimal numbers in the smart card layout.
However the actual key value stored in the card was converted to an ASCII value.
This caused confusion when integrating existing solutions with BioStar 2 because the industry standard uses hexadecimal values for the card key.
Hence to allow easy integration, the card key configuration is now entered in hexadecimal form in BioStar 2.6.
Configuring Card Key in Smart Card Layout
1. Log in to BioStar 2 with an administrator account with Setting configuration privileges.
2. Click Settings.
3. Click CARD FORMAT.
4. Click Smart Card.
5. Click ADD SMART CARD.
6. Enter a Name for the smart card layout.
7. Check Primary Key.
8. Enter a hexadecimal key in the New Primary Key textbox.
9. Repeat entering the key in the Confirm New Primary Key textbox.
Mifare: 6 byte range of 0 to FFFFFFFFFFFF
iClass: 8 byte range of 0 to FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Desfire: 16 Byte range of 0 to FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF
If the max length is not filled, the key will be filled with FF automatically.
User enters “1230” > Result: 12 30 FF FF FF
User enters “AF0” > Result: 0A F0 FF FF FF FF
10. Check the Secondary Key to Active.
11. If you had no key configured on the card previously, check the Secondary Key and leave it blank.
12. Change the Start Block Index to configure where the layout will be written if it is required.
13. Change the Template Count if desired. Be wary of your card size.
14. Change the Template size if required.
15. Click Apply.
16. Go to the DEVICE menu.
17. Select your device.
18. Select your Layout in Authentication > Smart Card Layout. 19. Click Apply.