To perform a backup of the BioConnect database as is necessary just prior to upgrading an existing BioConnect installation, follow the steps below.
1. Open SQL Server Management Studio, right click and run as administrator
- If you do not have SQL Server Management Studio, you must download and install it from Microsoft’s Website. Minimum Requirement is 2008 R2 or above.
- We recommend using SQL Server 2012 with tools, provided in link below:
2. After launching SQL Management Studio and successfully connecting to the SQL instance installed on your machine that contains the BioConnect database, follow the steps below.
- Expand [Databases] > right click on [BioConnect] > [Tasks] > [Back Up]
- Under the Destination section, ensure that the Disk option is chosen and click on the Remove button. This will remove the current path and file so that you can specify a new one for this backup.
- Click on the Add button to open the Select Backup Destination dialogue box.
Click on the [...] button to select a backup location and specify the file name:
The default backup location of the MS SQL Server is displayed. In this example, it is C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL14.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\Backup
There is no need to change the location. Click in the File name: field and enter the name of the backup file to be created. It is strongly suggested to follow the naming standard of:
Where YYYY-MM-DD is the current date and BriefDesc is a very short description of the reason for the backup (ex. UpgdTo4531).
- Click [OK], then [OK] again to create and save the backup file:
- The destination will now be updated with the filename and location that was just saved. Click on [OK] to start the backup.
- The progress of the backup can be tracked in the bottom left hand corner under Progress:
- Upon successful completion of the backup you will see 100% under Progress and a pop-up message window will be displayed waiting for you to click on [OK]:
Your BioConnect database backup has been completed an you may now close the MS SQL Server Management Studio program.
NOTE: If you experience any problems with the steps provided, please don't hesitate to contact BioConnect Technical Services at 1-855-368-3743, option 2 and provide the details of which step and what unexpected errors or result has been observed.