I) Prerequisites Before Starting the Upgrade
Before starting an upgrade of any BioConnect version 4.5 or higher, please ensure that you have the following:
- Windows username and password where the current BioConnect server version 4.5 and higher is running.
- Knowledge of the BioConnect database server IP address, server and instance name, username and password used to connect to the database by the BioConnect server program.
- Knowledge of whether the BioConnect services are currently running under 'Local System' or a specific Windows username. If the BioConnect services are currently running under a specific Windows username, the exact username and password must be known.
- Download and extract the most current 4.5.x installation package using the link: https://security.bioconnect.com/software/bioconnect-enterprise/download/
- Review the Software Installation Guide located in the Documentation sub-folder within the extracted 4.5.x installation package:
- Open the BioConnect Enterprise Installation video Youtube playlist and watch the corresponding installation video for your chosen ACM integration: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB4EcukIyW50Sx4i75Hl_ciOkkVgQihF6
If you are installing BioConnect for the first time, proceed to section III.
If you are upgrading a previous version of BioConnect, then proceed to the next section II.
II) Uninstalling A Previously Installed Version of BioConnect
1. Stop all BioConnect services using the ServiceStop.bat file in the following location:
C:\Program Files (x86)\BioConnect\BioConnect Services
Right-click on the ServiceStop.bat file and choose the option Run as administrator.
You will see a cmd.exe window open and display the following after all the services has been stopped.
Press any key to continue and to close the cmd.exe screen.
Verify that all services have been stopped successfully and launch the Services windows program:
Confirm that the Status of all BioConnect services does not show 'Running' and is blank:
If you still see any of the BioConnect services with the Status of Running, it will be necessary to manually stop them using the Task Manager:
Within Task Manager, click on each of the BioConnect services under the Background processes sub-heading and click on the End task button:
3. In preparation for upgrading to this version, please perform a backup of your BioConnect database using SQL Server Management Studio. A reference for this an be found in the following article.
4. After successfully backing up the BioConnect database, proceed to uninstall the existing BioConnect program.
[Start] > [Control Panel]
Within the Control Panel, click on Uninstall a program:
Within the Programs and Features window, first click on the BioConnect Networking Tool and click the Uninstall button:
Next, click on the BioConnect program and click on Uninstall:
The BioConnect installer will run:
At the following screen, ensure that the first option that does not require a reboot is chosen and click [OK]:
The following prompt will ask if you would like to delete the existing BioConnect configuration. Unless instructed otherwise by a BioConnect technical services agent, click on [No].
The uninstall will complete and you will no longer see any BioConnect programs installed.
III) Installation of the Current BioConnect Version Downloaded in the Prerequisites Section.
1. Open the Software Installation Guide located in the Documentation sub-folder within the extracted 4.5.x installation package:
The installation guide will open in a web browser. Maximize the browser window and click on the [Server Install] button on the left side. Scroll down to Step 2. This is where you will effectively be starting after launching the installer in the next paragraph.
Launch BioConnect program installer that was downloaded as part of the installation package in the prerequisites section.
Right-click on the BioConnect.exe and choose to Run as administrator.
Click on [Next].
2. Prerequisites to be installed
If you do not want to install the BioConnect Networking Tool, then please uncheck the checkbox to the left before clicking [Next]. Otherwise, leave the checkbox checked and click on [Next].
3. Setup Assistant screens for configuring BioConnect.
From this point forward of the installation follow the installation guide from Step 2.
Since this is an upgrade, most of the sections requiring input the various system, database and ACM parameters should already be populated from the last 4.5 installation. If you are upgrading from a BioConnect version prior to 4.5, you will need to re-enter all the various system, database and ACM parameters. Starting from BioConnect version 4.5, all of these parameters are persisted and you will not have to re-enter the parameters that were configured in a previous 4.5 installation.
***Important note about Step 8 of the Installation Guide for the database installation type.***
When the Setup Assistant asks you to choose between [Express] and [Custom Setup], DO NOT SELECT [Express] as it will install a new instance of SQL 2008 R2 and a blank BioConnect database.
Choose [Custom] and if you are upgrading from a previous version of BioConnect version 4.5, the previous BioConnect database connection parameters will be automatically populated. If you are upgrading from a version of BioConnect prior to version 4.5, you will need to remember and enter again the BioConnect database connection parameters.
NOTE: If you experience any problems with the steps provided, please don't hesitate to contact BioConnect Technical Services at 1-855-368-3743, option 2 and provide the details of which step and what unexpected errors or result has been observed.